Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Ireland: Questions and Answers

Where did we go?
Dublin, Glendalough, Kilkenny, Killarney, and Dingle, Ireland

How long were we there?
4 Days. Friday, May 9th through Monday, May 12th 2014

What language do they speak?
English with an awesome accent.

What currency do they use?
Euros

Were things expensive?
Food was about average I would say if not a little less expensive and lodging was reasonable.  We spent about $120 a night on lodging.  We did have to pay for gas which we haven't done in a while so that was different but it was a pretty reasonable place to visit as far as spending money goes.

Would we be able to live there for a year?
Jake would say yes in a heartbeat.  The driving on the wrong side of the road stressed me out and since we didn't use public transportation I would be a little hesitant saying yes until I figured out how we would get around.  But if I could get past the transportation I think the answer would be yes.  The country is beautiful and the food was good.  Everyone speaks English and the are SO friendly!  Plus then we would be closer to central Europe which would be great for traveling.

What was most memorable thing about the trip?
The people.  They were so friendly and helpful even without us asking.  They just recognized that we might need help and offered it.  I would also say driving was very memorable.  Jake and I had to come up with a system of giving each other directions because we were so out of whack driving the car we couldn't just say "turn left at the next street."  We would say things like "the street is going to curve left and then you are going to turn right but remember to stay on the left."  We were constantly reminding each other to stay in the left lane.  Things like roundabouts, ramps and merging are so stressful when you are on the wrong side of the road.  Jake made a rule as soon as we got in the car, "no yelling."  The driver will be stressed driving and the passenger will be stressed trying to navigate.  We are both going to mess up so there is a no yelling rule and we are going to be helpful.  It mostly worked :).  I think it was broken once and it was probably me :).

What was the food like?
The food was good.  I really liked it but I think Jake thought it was a little bland.

Least favorite food?
I don't think I had anything I didn't like.  There were lots of potatoes served and I think that would get old but other than that the food was good.

Favorite food?
Irish Cottage Pie. Oh. My. Goodness.  It is comfort in a bowl.  I need to learn how to make it.  It is basically beef stew with mashed potatoes baked on top.

Would we want to go back?
Before we left Jake already wanted to go back.  We didn't make it to Northern Ireland at all and I know Jake would like to do that so I have a feeling we will be back.

What w
as I most surprised by?
I was most surprised by the friendly people.  I'm not sure that would surprise me as much if we weren't living in Stockholm where people just don't talk to others.  I don't want people to get the wrong impression people in Stockholm can be friendly they just don't talk to strangers but if you ask them for help they will help you.  We just both really appreciated the fact that without asking for help we got friendly help by several people in Ireland.  Oh, and walking into a private residence thinking that was our Bed and Breakfast, that surprised us a lot :).

Did we do anything we thought we wouldn't do?
Not really.  We pretty much followed the plan of the trip.  We did do more driving/traveling during the day than we ever have and we weren't sure how that would go.  It was mostly fine.  The only day I regret was the scenic drive when we had bad weather.  It turned into a lot of time in the car and not much to look at.  I thought we would hear more Irish music in pubs but we heard lots of top 40 songs and some instrumental music.

What did I learn about myself on this trip?
I learned how to change the way I communicate with Jake to make a situation less stressful.  I also learned that sometimes you don't need to follow the itinerary if it doesn't make sense based on that day or the weather.

Click on the links if you want to read about our first two days in Ireland and our last two days.  Hope you enjoyed learning a little about Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...