Thursday, November 12, 2015

Linnea is 4 Months Old!

Linnea,
Oh sweet girl, we sure love you.  You are so much fun.  I didn't realize how fun it would be to have a third teammate.  I've always liked holding babies but it was also nice to give them back to their parents but I could hold you all day (except your dad likes to hold you as well).
Stats
At your 4 month well baby check up you weighed 12 lbs 8 oz (5.669 kg) which was in the 22nd percentile.  You were 26 inches (66 cm) long which is in the 95th percentile and your head was 16.25 inches (41.25 cm) around which is in the 56th percentile.  You are still long and skinny and I love it!
A little comparison photo: 1 week, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, and 4 months.
Eating
This month you went through a growth spurt and started eating more during the night.  During the day you still ate every four hours.  There were a few days this month where I tried feeding you every 3 hours to hopefully fill you up so you weren't so hungry at night but that didn't work.  You just aren't hungry every 3 hours so instead of eating you looked all around the room.  You kind of forgot how to take a bottle this month but after a few days of practicing you remembered and did a great job when Jami and Grandma Debbie gave you a bottle.

We went to the pediatrician's office for a weight check at the very beginning of the month and since it was our first time meeting her she did a quick evaluation on you.  She said you fall into the "happy spitter" category.  You are as happy as can be and then all of a sudden spit up goes everywhere and then you are smiling again.  The only thing you don't like is when we wipe off your face.  The good news is it doesn't seem to bother you and you are still gaining weight which is great.

Sleeping
I have good news and bad news.  The good news is you are finally getting back to sleeping better.  The bad news is that you spent most of this month waking up during the night a lot more than you used to (and almost more than you did as a newborn).  About a week before you turned 3 months old you started waking up in the middle of the night and you continued to do that until about a week before you turned 4 months old.  Not going to lie we had a few rough nights.  I realize that our "rough nights" were still very easy compared to some but it was hard going from you sleeping through the night (with waking up a few times for your pacifier) to you waking up three times a night to eat.
Your bad nights this month were when you went to bed around 7:30 and then woke up between 10:30-11:30 then again around 2:30 and then 4:30 or 5 and then you were up for the day around 6 or 6:30 but you wouldn't eat again until 7:30.  One night this month you went the whole night without eating and the last week or so you've been waking up just once to eat.  I think we need to move you out of our room and let you fuss a little more but right now your nursery is still full of office junk :( but we are working on it!
When you wake up early (anytime after 5 but before 7:15) your dad gets up with you so I can sleep since I got up with you before 5 if you woke up.  One morning I walked out to find both of you asleep on the couch.  It was adorable!
You've been sleeping in your crib in our room ever since we moved back to the US.  You look so small in your crib compared to when you are in your box.

Clothes
You can still fit into some size 56 clothes but you also wear some size 62.  You are still very long and skinny so you have to wear 6 month pants because the 3 month pants look like capris on you.  You can still wear some 3 month onesies.  We don't have any sleepers in your size which is fine because we just put you in a top and pants at night when you sleep.

I think we settled on Parent's Choice fragrance free wipes as our favorite but in a Huggies wipe dispenser (thank you Jan for that tip).  We use Huggies size 1 diapers at night and during the day.  I like to use Huggies especially if you are riding in your car seat or sitting in something because they have a tab in the back to help keep projects in your diaper instead of up your back :).  I still like using Luvs size 2 on you as well.

I used to put a bib on you since you spit up so much and I didn't want to have to always change your outfit but then I just ended up with wet bibs and wet outfits because you often got both of them wet.  So now I just skip the bib and change your outfit 2-3 times a day which means you get to wear all of your outfits lots of times and they aren't covered up by bibs :)! 

Playtime 
You discovered toys this month.  You've been "playing" and talking to your friends, aka your mobile, for a few months but this month you started playing with your toys.  It has been so much fun watching you play.  You've started putting toys in your mouth this month which means we have to make sure we watch you so you don't get something that could choke you.


You still really like your mobile but now you like you hit it and watch it move.
You aren't actually going forward yet but you look like you are ready to start scooting soon!  I'm not ready!
One great perk of moving back is having one of my best friends living about 5 minutes away from us and she has two cute girls that enjoy playing with you.  We've hung out together a few times and even met at Deanna Rose Farmstead one morning.  I can't wait to hang out with them more!

Your evenings aren't as fussy as they used to be which means you get to take a bath before bedtime now.  Right after we moved back I hadn't had time to clean the tub so we improvised and gave you a bath in a plastic drawer.  You weren't really a fan which is understandable . . .
This month you have also started to enjoy when we read books to you.  You look at the pictures and seem pretty interested which is fun.


Reading your book and chewing on your hand.  Got to keep up with your Swedish!  At this point you might pass your parents (well . . . at least your mom).

You have lots of favorite toys.  One of your favorites is a plastic toy that has rounded edges that we keep with your car seat because we know you can't choke on it and if it falls on the floor we can wash it off. 
 You love your moose's feet!
You love to eat your fish.  You must get that from your dad because I don't like fish :).
You love to talk and laugh.  It is so fun listening to you.

Sometimes when you are playing you will put a blanket or a toy on your face and then you start gasping for air as if you can't breathe even though you can.  You are such a silly girl.  Maybe that is just the sound you make when you are excited?

New Skills
You started talking more this month and making a "g" or gurgling sound which is really cute.  Sometimes you will do it as I am laying you down for a nap.  You just look up at me, grin and start gurgling.  It just melts me!  I love hearing you talk to me.

You've found my hair and often have a fist full before I can stop you.

Sometimes when you are playing on your mat you will roll to your side to look at your books.  It is really cute.  You roll from your tummy to your back sometimes as well.

Reading and tummy time!
You LOVE sucking on your fingers and the palm of your hand.  Sometimes you have just one finger in your mouth and sometimes you have both hands in your mouth.  You still prefer your pacifier when you are tired or upset which is fine by me :).

You love sucking on our fingers as well.
You try to sit up all the time.  If I lay you on my lap you try to sit up and get frustrated when you can't. You also try to sit up in your bouncy seat and in the rock n play.  At least once a day I grab your hands and then pull you up so you are sitting.  I think you really like it :).
This month we've really started to notice some blonde hair coming in.  We kind of thought you would be blonde when you were born so when you came out with dark hair we were all surprised.  Now I'm sad that you are losing your dark hair and blonde hair is coming in its place.  It is just another sign that you are no longer my newborn baby :(.  I really cannot believe how old you are and how much you have grown and changed in just four short months. 
Your hair looks so blonde in this picture.  This is one of my best friends Emily.  I've known her for a long time and most of that time we actually liked each other ;).  She prayed hard for you and seeing you two together just makes me smile.

Activities and Outings
You do a great job riding in the car.  I wasn't sure how you would do since you didn't ride in a car the first three months of your life but just like everything else we've tried with you, you've been a champ.  You fuss a little when we put you in your car seat but it isn't anything a pacifier can't fix.  Going around town on short trips are easy other than getting your car seat in and out of the car.  That thing is heavy!
We've been to Manhattan three times and Wichita once and you did great on every trip.  We are getting better about taking longer car rides during your nap time which helps but even if you are awake you don't mind being in the car.
 You met lots of people this month and didn't mind going to them which is great.  You did spit up on a few of them but thankfully they didn't mind (at least that is what they said).
Brad, Victoria, Zion, Linnea and Rose Baby Girl #2.  We are so excited to hang out with them again now that we are back!

We had a great time hanging out with my school friends.  So thankful for these guys and that we've been able to stay in touch even though we've been gone for two years.

Your grandparents came up to visit us this month.  You had a great time hanging out with them.


Your Dad
Your dad loves hanging out with you and giving me a break during the weekends.  I love seeing you two together.  He loves you so much and has been teaching you so many things already!  
 
  You really hit the dad jackpot!
 You loved learning how to install a dishwasher.
I'm not sure who enjoyed hanging out more when your dad was doing yard work.
Firsts
We left you for the first time with a non-family member.  Technically Kelli isn't in the family but she is one of my best friends and was my college roommate so she is like a sister to me.  She watched you with her sister in law during the first K-State game we were able to go to.  Then we left you again with all of my college roommates for another K-State game.  You did great both times.
Eli was so excited to hang out with you!  (Kelli was 39 weeks pregnant in this picture and still agreed to watch Linnea.  She is one of a kind!)

You went to your first K-State tailgate.  We didn't take you into the game but you did hang out with your grandparents in the parking lot while we went into the game.  Your dad put you down for a nap before the game started and then we woke you up at halftime so you could eat.  It was a pretty hard babysitting job for your grandparents.
We went out to eat for the first time in Olathe with your grandparents and once with just the three of us.  You did a great job, of course, but we wish we could take you in your bassinet so we don't have to wake you up getting you out of your car seat.
The first of many trips to Mi Ranchito.  The guy next to me is Jan. He is from the Stockholm office.  It was fun seeing him after we moved back.

We celebrated the first holiday with you this month, Halloween.  We went to Wichita for the first time as well.  We had a great time getting you dressed up and walking you around your dad's neighborhood.  We also stopped by Tim and Cathy Martz's house so you could meet them.  They were really excited.

When we were in Wichita we watched your cousin Jace play basketball and met your new cousin Paislee!  I have a feeling you two will be great friends! 

Dinner at Saigon.


Happy Halloween!

Dad's Birthday!
On your dad's birthday we went out to dinner with Liz's family.  After dinner we came home to feed you and then swaddled you and put you in your bassinet and walked to their house.  You slept in the front room of their house while we played games and then we walked you home and transferred you to your bed.  It was great!
 One night we went to Erin McGonigle's house to watch the Royals play.  I fed you dinner there and then put you to sleep in the bassinet.  We transferred you to your car seat and then drove you home.  You were awake the whole way home but we swaddled you and laid you down and you slept great.  You are such a great baby!

You are a great shopping partner already.  You smile and talk to me the whole time, unless you fall asleep.  We usually use your stroller because your car seat takes up the whole cart and grocery carts are so hard to push compared to your stroller.

This month you also got to meet my friends that I taught with at Rex Elementary.  We haven't taught together in 7 years but we still go to lunch or dinner when I'm back in town and they couldn't wait to meet you.  You loved sitting on Chris's lap.  I feel like I should have warned you about him.  He can be pretty sneaky.

Roommates Reunion
We had a great time in Manhattan hanging out with my college roommates, their husbands and kids.  It was SO great seeing them and spending time together.  Our time together wasn't as relaxing or as quiet as it used to be but we wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm just thankful that this year we were home and able to get together with them.  Plus the adults still outnumber the kids . . . for now.

Remember
I want to remember the way you turn your head all the way to the side when you are ready to sleep.  You'll do this in your car seat, crib or you'll turn your head into my chest if I am holding you.  I love feeling you snuggle into me.

Sometimes you get so excited that your whole body wiggles.  You are just so happy.  I hope I remember how happy you are (and that I don't take it for granted because I know some babies aren't and that would be tough).

I want to remember the look on your face when we play "find Linnea and mommy in the mirror."  One of our bathrooms has several mirrors and at least once a day we go in there and find each other in the mirrors.  It is so fun.

I usually make up silly songs to sing to you when you are sad or upset and I can't pick you up.  They usually start with "Linnea likes to hang out with mommy, play with daddy" . . . . and I usually include a verse about how happy you are.

Thanks for being such an awesome baby.  We are so thankful for you and feel so lucky that we get to be your parents.  Happy 4 months sweet girl!

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...